The Fastest 3D Laptop in the World
If StereoscopyNews was a car magazine, I will be reviewing a Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport right now. But as we are what we are, I am reviewing the Eurocom (Ottawa, Canada) Panther 5D laptop 3D stereoscopic computer. Definitely not cheap and not really lightweight, the Panther 5D is nevertheless a powerful tool for on-set derushing of 3D shots.
Specs: 17.3 inches Full HD 3D display, 3.1 Ghz 8-cores Xeon processor, 32 Gbytes memory, Dual 4GB Nvidia Quadro Gpu with 1344 CUDA processors, three 1 terabyte SSD hard disks in RAID0 configuration, and a 6x Blu-ray 3D writer. Nvidia 3D Vision2 glasses are included.
The test configuration weights around 6 Kg (13 lbs) and costs 19,555 USD. Details here under.
Panther Demo Video
We are sorry but the online video presentation is about the (more or less similar, but less powerful) Panther 4.0 laptop with 2D display only.
Panther 5D Detailed Specifications
- 17.3-inch 3D 120MHz; Wide Viewing Angle; FHD 1920-by-1080 Matte (Non-Glare); LED Backlit
- Core Logic: Intel X79 Express Chipset Processor: up to Intel i7-3970X Extreme (6-cores) or up to XEON E5-2687W (8 cores); socket LGA2011
- VGA TECHNOLOGY: Modular MXM 3.0b; Dual (SLI) VGA supportl NVIDIA: GTX 680M(4GB DDR5) or QUADRO K5000M (4GB ECC DDR5)
- MEMORY: up to 64GB; DDR3-1333/1600/1866; four physical SODIMM sockets
- EXPANSION: Built-in ExpressCard 34/54 slot
- STORAGE: up to 4TB of storage with four physical SSD, Hybrid or HDD, RAID 0/1/5/10 support; SATA 6Gb/s OPTICAL DRIVE BAY: DVD-RW or Blu Ray Burner or 4th Hard Drive
- I/O PORTS: 3x USB 3.0; 2x USB 2.0; eSATA; Firewire-800 (TI XIO2221ZAY); DisplayPort v1.2; DVI-I (SL); HDMI 1.4a out w/HDCP; Headphone; Microphone; S/PDIF out; Line-in; RJ-45 / LAN
- COMMUNICATION: built-in 10/100/1000Mb Base-TX Ethernet LAN (Intel 82579V); WLAN (optional); Bluetooth v2.1+EDR (optional); 2M Video Webcam (built-in)
- SECURITY: TPM 1.2; Fingerprint, Kensington Lock
- KEYBOARD: Backlit; full-size with separate numeric keypad; W/A/S/D gaming key; built-in touchpad with multi-gesture and scrolling functions; 6 touch sensor instant buttons: Volume Up/Down, Mute, WLAN, BT, Webcam
- WEIGHT/DIMENSIONS: 5.5kg (12.1lbs); 419(W)x286(D)x57.9-62.1(H)mm (16.76x11.44x2.31-2.48inch)
- Software in our config : MS Windows 7 Ultimate-64 bits+ MS Office Professionnal; just add your prefered edit suite and 3D tools.
Using the online configurator, we choose the most powerful power supply (660Watts) and the Matrox TripleHead2Go adapter allowing us to connect three external stereoscopic screens (suggestion : ASUS VG278) for 5660x1060 pixels of display real estate.
The internal Blu-ray 3D writer may be swapped for a fourth SSD hard disk if needed, but we found the Blu-ray writing capability more useful than the additional terabyte of storage. The three ICZ Octane SSD drives offer 330 Mbytes/second of writing speed each, a nice feature when reviewing rushes in fast forward/fast rewind mode.
In our selected configuration a leather notebook case and a spare Li-Ion battery were also included.
If you are in the mood to spend a bit more money, a list of options is also available: external NAS storage for backups, docking station, etc.
And in case you are looking for a less powerful laptop, Eurocom also offers a Scorpius 3D from 2,499 USD.
Eurocom is here on the map.